Thursday, May 29, 2014

Thing #18

I'm a regular user of Wikipedia on my phone. I also use it at work to help answer simple reference questions, but most often to give myself a quick overview of an unfamiliar topic so that I'm able to know where to start with complicated research for patrons. Wikipedia has its problems, of course, but I consider it a basic research tool.

I was most interested to spend some time with the Khan Academy app. I was intrigued by the test preparation aspect possibilities, but would have liked to see practice GRE and GED tests offered. I tried several search terms just to check for content and came up empty a surprising number of times. The topic "feminism" got no search results. After spending more time with the app, I realized that I was approaching it as if it's an encyclopedia when it's simply not that comprehensive. In the end, I don't think this app is worth keeping. There was too much uncertainty for me about what might or might not be covered.


No comments:

Post a Comment