Thursday, May 29, 2014

Thing #17

I used the Minnesota State Fair app last year while attending "The Great Minnesota Get-Together."  As a native Minnesotan who lived away from the state for a dozen years and just returned a year ago, attending the State Fair was something I happily anticipated. I'd attended only twice before. The app did a good job of connecting me to food, events, restrooms, and showcases. It's a useful app, especially for first-timers.

I downloaded the Superior Hiking, Minneapolis by Open Spaces, and Going Out apps for this Thing. The Minneapolis app didn't work for me. I wasn't able to access the Events or Explore tabs. I found the Going Out app to be useful, especially as a new transplant to the Northeast Minneapolis neighborhood. Using the "near current location" for locating restaurants, bars, movies, and clubs in my area introduced me to places and spaces I hope to explore in the future. I plan to use it to create an itinerary for my mom and sisters who will visit this summer from out of town. I think it would also be helpful to library patrons who are new to their communities. Of course, all of the apps in this Thing serve to connect people to communities.

I downloaded the Highlights of the Superior Hiking Trail app because I have a trip planned to Gooseberry Falls this August. I hate to admit that I wasn't even aware of the Superior Hiking Trail and only recently discovered it when planning the Gooseberry Falls/North Shore trip. It's considered to be one of the top five or so hikes in the United States. This app includes eleven hikes. It gives information about how to get to the hike, the length, a few details about the terrain and difficulty, and trail and parking maps. Maps also show camping sites. I've already told a few people who I know are walking the trail this summer about this app.

No comments:

Post a Comment