Thursday, May 15, 2014

Thing #16

This is another Thing I have looked forward to. I've read a bit about SoundCloud, but hadn't had the chance to try it out yet. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the endless offerings on this platform. I just finished listening to the Dixie Chicks and Valerie June. I'm following the Smithsonian Folkways. I appreciate that this is a huge social media platform, but I also think that can clutter things up a bit. I don't know how necessary it is to give people the option to comment at various points in a song or podcast, but I suppose that's part of the point of social media right? At least the comments don't interfere with the sound.

I also downloaded AudioBoo and played around with it, including recording a boo of my own. It's pretty cool. Again, there are endless offerings. I think the challenge of many apps is finding you way to what's meaningful for you specifically. There's so much out there, so many individuals and artists and organizations and companies contributing their content that it can be challenging to focus on what's worth one's time. Maybe it's the librarian in me, but I'm always curious to know who's creating the content. I find myself automatically asking questions about credibility and authority and even permission. Of course I generally think those are useful questions, but I'm not sure how much they apply to this type of media.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Sequoyah Book Club Challenge information. I so admire the creative and practical ways that people use technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment