Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Thing #3

I've long wondered about the sort-of-looks-like-a-barcode squares starting to show up on various objects. I understood that clicking on them brought one to more information, but I wasn't sure if they were particularly useful or how they functioned. I tried the RedLaser Barcode and QR Scanner on library books and various products around the house. I didn't know what to expect. Would I learn the price? Biography? Where to buy an item? This uncertainty highlights the main reason I'm hesitant to use the scanner in any habitual way. The nature of the information being linked to isn't obvious. For my purposes, that means it's a waste of time. That could have something to do with being a librarian, however. I can see how other users would like the instant response to their curiosity. Just scan the QR code and you're immediately linked to more information. As QR codes become ubiquitous and their uses more obvious, I can see them being used more frequently.

Wi-fi Finder is an app I already had on my iPhone. It made the cut when I recently cleaned up my iPhone real estate. I don't use it that often in my daily life, but for road trips and vacations it's very useful. A year and a half ago I used it regularly on my road trip moving from California to Minneapolis. It's easy to access and use and the information is clear and uncomplicated. If you're traveling and need wi-fi, it's an invaluable utility that I highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment