Friday, February 21, 2014

Thing #4

I decided to download the Flipboard app for this Thing. I like the concept, the fact that it aggregates content in one location, and the quick and easy way to "flip" through pictures and pages once you're inside a magazine. For my purposes, the most useful feature is how it puts all my social media sites in one easy to access place. I like having Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram available so efficiently. The content appears more quickly in Flipboard then it does in the individual apps, though with Facebook it doesn't seem like you get as much information. That could just be a misperception on my part, however. I'm accustomed to viewing Facebook in a particular format. I suppose I've become fond of that. Since I don't use Twitter or Instagram that much, I'm not particularly tied to an already familiar format. That means I'm more open to what Flipboard offers as it pertains to those two apps.

I haven't been able to watch any of the Olympics on tv so I created a Sochi Winter Games box (is that the right terminology?) that is a useful way to keep up to date. I have to say that I haven't yet looked at it. I also think this might be a handy way for me to follow blogs on my phone, which is not something I currently do. I read several blogs on a daily basis, but I do that on my laptop. In the future, I might be inclined to aggregate a group of them in one place.

Playing around with Flipboard makes me wish I'd taken the time to learn about Google Reader. I have a vague idea of what it did, but never saw it in action. I know there are various replacements for it, but I've heard a lot of mournful noise about its demise!

No comments:

Post a Comment