Monday, March 31, 2014

Thing #13

This is a category of app I previously had no use for. As someone who learns most easily by seeing something written down or by taking notes, I've wanted to like Power Point, but I think PP presentations are overused, mostly boring, and have become an unfortunate default way to present information in a professional context.

I downloaded Deck Slideshow Presentations for this Thing. It's a simple and easy way to create and spruce up presentations. I decided to create a presentation of the Instagram photos I'm collecting for the #100happydays project I'm working on. I chose a line of opening text, added seven images, and followed with another line of text. After saving the deck, I clicked on the theme icon. There are eight options for free themes. I tried two of them, Bicycle and Paper Plane, and found them both to be an elegant and interesting way to augment my slide show.

In a previous job, I developed and presented monthly teen programs for my library. We held a quarterly Trivia Night. The questions were presented to teams on a Power Point presentation. I think creating the presentation in deck would make it more interesting for the kids. I could also imagine encouraging teens to create their own decks which could then be compiled into a teen-generated Trivia Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment