Monday, March 24, 2014

Thing #10

Being able to share photos with others is one of the most pleasurable things about this brave new world of social media and technology. I already had an Instagram account, but I hadn't looked at it for a very long time. I know it's hugely popular. Several family members are on Instagram, including my elementary school age nieces and nephews. Keeping in touch with others through photographs is a lovely way to be present in other people's lives. Being able to edit and craft and curate a collection of photos in such an easy and accommodating manner has opened up a new form of communication for so many people.

In an earlier post, I mentioned a blog I follow called A Beautiful Mess. On the blog today, Elsie Larson wrote about 100happydays, a challenge to post a picture of what makes you happy for 100 days in a row. I've decided to take that challenge and to do my posting on Instagram. Read more about the challenge at 100happydays.com.

I also downloaded Snapchat. I've been curious about this app. Again, I have nieces who use this to talk back and forth to each other. I got my first snap from a friend from high school who is making kombucha. I sent a few snaps of my own and five hours later the status is still pending! I read the articles on the value of Snapchat. The fleeting nature of a snap protects privacy. I'm more inclined to communicate through language, but I can see the value in talking by exchanging pictures.





No comments:

Post a Comment